Monday, September 23, 2013

Fall is now upon us...

I feel like our summer field trip was a success! :)  We are going to spend this week on rainbows.  We will be doing some fun activities with each color of the rainbow as we practice recognizing our color words.  That is something you can reinforce at home.

We are moving right along in reading.  They are working very hard on their sight words and practicing making the sounds of the letters to figure out the words they don't know.  I have introduced a few strategies we use and thought I would share them so that you can use them at home when you are reading with them. 

     Eagle Eyes:  check the letters, then check the picture
     Lips the Fish: get your mouth ready for the first word, then       
                            begin reading
     Stretchy Snake: stretch the word out slowly, then put the sounds
                               back together to figure out the word
     Peekin' Poodle: Peek at the picture to make sure it makes sense

Every chance you can take to let them read to you will make them more successful.  If they are struggling, read it with them once and then let them have a turn by themselves.  It is very important that they point to each word as their mouth is saying it at this point.  Have them work on expression as well.  I am excited to see where this group goes as readers. :)

This week in math, we will be reviewing and writing our numbers 0 through 10.  We will be counting groups and matching numbers to groups.  Once they have success with this, we will move on to the teen numbers which are much harder. 

I am sad to say that I have to be gone Friday for a meeting.  I have been asked to help revamp the district's reading curriculum.  As much as I hate leaving my students, I know it is important that I help with this important task.  I have done my best to line up a good substitute teacher and to prep her.  I will do my best to have the same sub when I am gone for these meetings.  Thank you for understanding.

Don't forget that we are having our Open House on Tuesday night from 5:30-6:30.  This is a special time for the kids to show off what they have been doing in our classroom.  I look forward to seeing all of you!

Have a great week!

Ms. Strong



No comments:

Post a Comment